Sunday 27 March 2011

Marching for the alternative 2011

People walk for all sorts of reasons, but rarely is it for a cause. My walks - and this blog - were no different. Then I went on my first protest March on March 26th. Most of you know why it happened (and those than don't can find out here). Others have, more eloquently than I ever could, stated their opinions about the whys and the what-it-all-means. I just wanted to paint what it was like, as a contrast to what others (or the media) might choose to focus on. 

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting it to be so fun. Yes it was full of classic left-wing stooges, preserved in amber from the 1980s. It was anti lots of things (anti-cuts, anti-government, anti-Libyan intervention, etc.) but it was also done, in the main, with so much disarming warmth and charm that you were bowled over by the strength of positive feeling more than the strength of any particular argument. 



As we wandered up to the rear of the already miles-long march, various groups had left little groups of placards; propped up like cardboard canapes for us to peruse and use as we saw fit. Little tents en route gave out free leaflets, helium balloons, tabards(!) and even food for marchers to read, hold, don or eat. Sandwiches were unwrapped from foil or scooped out of Tupperware to be shared with friends.

 
 There was music - brass bands, reggae sound systems, middle-eastern bands and pop music to let people shuffle, march and sashay their way to the main rally at Hyde Park. You didn't want for noise - whistles, klaxons, hand clakers and the oh-god-when-did-they-become-ubiquitous vuvzelas all honked in an incoherent, happy din. Sometimes, like when the march actually started moving forward after two hours, it would come together in one glorious roar that surged back from the front like a slow-moving sonic boom. It made my heart race and my fingers tingle. That sheer weight of humanity, the sheer excitement of being there and doing something, however futile, however tokenistic. Of making a point about making a point of where the UK was in 2011. And what we thought of it. 

I've stood in large crowds of people at music gigs - a giant mass of humanity cheering on a band and 'sharing something'. But I've not felt anything like this before. It was a buzz. It was scary/amazing. It was impressive. 

 





It was why I've written a longer blog than normal, telling you about it. 

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment