Sunday 15 May 2011

Cloud unbursting

There's not a lot of sky in London. Buildings are too high or squooshed together. I think sometimes there's too much going on at ground level for eyes to look up that far. 


Then the other day on the way to work, the sky jumped out at me. Some weird atmospheric event meant the contrails that normally get blown away had, weirdly, been preserved. 

Suddenly the sky had gotten interesting. It was like someone had been ice skating on the sky.  

 It was really weird - there must be dozens of the planes flying overhead every hour. What made these ones special? Why, when it was a bit gusty a ground level could it be so airless up there?


Central London had the same story. I wandered round town with my neck craned up. 

Work intervened and life continued and it wasn't until an hour or two later that I thought to look out the window again. They'd gone.

London always has had the ability to entertain and delight in unexpected ways. Once again, it had done me proud. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment